Revised December 10, 2018
Information We Collect About You
We collect information to provide our products and services to you, and to improve them for you and all of our customers, including the following types of information::
- Who you are and how we can contact you;
- Details about your vehicle, including make model, year, and odometer reading;
- Details about the ECP product warranty or service contract;
- Information about cosmetic damage that has occurred to your vehicle, including text descriptions of that damage and photographs of your vehicle.
We collect information via the ECP Claims mobile app in the following ways:
- Information you give us directly. When you use the ECP Claims mobile app to file a claim against your ECP-obligated product warranty or service contract, we’ll ask you for personal information, like your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and information necessary to adjudicate your claim.
- The ECP Claims mobile app collects no information other than information you type into it in support of your warranty or service contract claim.
How We Use Information We Collect
We use the information we collect to adjudicate and pay your warranty or service contract claim and to improve our service to you and to other customers. Examples of these uses include, but are not limited to:
- Determining whether your warranty or service contract claim is valid and payable;
- Arranging for an inspection of your vehicle by an independent third party vehicle inspector;
- Facilitating the scheduling of service work with independent third party repair shops and facilities and making payments to the same for work that has been completed;
- Providing aggregated information on claims history, frequency, and severity to the motor vehicle dealer who sold your appearance protection products or service contract to you, and to agents responsible for that dealer’s ECP account;
- Responding to your questions or inquiries;
- Carry out other purposes that are disclosed to you and to which you have consented; and comply with legal or regulatory requirements. For example, we are required by law in several jurisdictions to retain a registration record for each warranty issued in connection with a protection product purchase for the term of the warranty, and for a specified time thereafter.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us directly. When you sign up for, or purchase, a product or service from us, we’ll ask you for personal information, like your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and information necessary to provide you with the product or service you are purchasing, or when we receive information from you verbally by phone or in writing by email or letter, including when you file a claim.
- Information you give us indirectly. When you complete warranty registration forms, service contract forms, or other ECP forms provided by car, marine and powersports dealers, we receive the information you have provided.
- Information we receive from companies that help us provide you with products and services. We receive information from third parties we hire to examine your vehicle and report back to us in relation to warranty or service contact claims you might make and from repair shops that perform repairs at our expense in relation to claims you have made with us.
- Information we receive from our business partners and associates. We receive information from business partners and associates in accordance with the consent you have provided them.
Information We Share
We do not sell your personal information. We also do not share information with third parties for marketing purposes, and we do not use information internally for marketing purposes.
We may disclose your information to service providers, business partners, and associates who help us to provide our products and services, including, but not limited to:
- Third Party Ancillary Product Providers;
- Third Party Vehicle Damage Appraisers;
- Third Party Repair Facilities;
- Agents and Distributors of ECP;
- Motor Vehicle Dealerships;
- And other services providers and business partners and associates.
We need to share information derived from the ECP Claims mobile app with our service providers, business partners, and associates in order to ensure the proper administration of claims, and general financial management, control and collection. We share only the information necessary to achieve the purpose for which we are sharing the information.
We may also disclose information:
- In accordance with your express instructions or consent, or the express instructions or consent of your authorized representative;
- To carry out transactions requested by you;
- To collect or compile information from or about you with our service providers, business partners and associates for the purposes of facilitating the provision of their products and/or services to you;
- For invoicing and debt collection purposes;
- To troubleshoot warranty registration issues;
- To investigate consumer complaints;
- To notify selling dealers that a claim has been paid to one of their customers;
- To attorneys for the purpose of resolving consumer complaints or litigation, whether actual or anticipated;
- If we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process (such as a court order, subpoena, search warrant, etc.) or other legal requirements of any governmental or regulatory authority;
- If it would potentially lessen our liability in an actual or potential lawsuit or investigation, or to conduct investigations of possible breaches of law or agreements;
- To bring legal action against someone who may be violating an agreement they have with us; or,
- If it is necessary to protect our or others’ rights or property.
We have entered into contractual agreements with our service providers, business partners and associates to require them to protect the information we provide to them.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event that we merge with or are acquired by a third party, or should any such transaction be proposed.
We maintain physical, electronic, and organizational safeguards to protect the information we have collected. [“Information” or “Personal information”] may only be accessed by persons within our organization, or our third party service providers, or business partners and associates, who require such access to carry out the purposes indicated in this policy, or otherwise disclosed to you. Personal information we collect is maintained at our corporate headquarters in Woodridge, IL, USA. We review our policies and practices and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the safety of this information.
Retention of Information
ECP has established internal policies for the retention of customer data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected or to meet legal requirements, including warranty and service contract registrations, claims history, and related information. Your information will be retained for at least the period of time designated in our data retention policy.
We are also required by law in some jurisdictions to retain information about you for a specified period of time. When we dispose of your data, we will do so in a way that prevents it from being disclosed to unauthorized parties.
Information submitted to ECP via the ECP Claims mobile app becomes the property of ECP Incorporated and is entered into the claims management system for adjudication, statistical analysis, and record-keeping. You may not withdraw this information from our system once you have submitted it. You may remove the ECP Claims mobile app from your device if you do not wish to submit further data via the mobile app. The act of removing the mobile app from your device will not delete previously-submitted data from ECP’s records.
Our services are not directed at minors or intended to be used by minors. Do not send any information about yourself to us if you are under the age of majority in your jurisdiction. In addition, if we learn that a person under the age of majority in his or her jurisdiction has submitted information to us, we will attempt to delete this information. If you have reason to believe that we may have accidentally received information from a person under the age of majority in his or her jurisdiction, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may request that we provide to you:
- A list of the categories of personal information about you that ECP has disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the calendar year preceding your request;
- The names and addresses of such third parties; and,
- If the nature of the third parties’ business cannot reasonably be determined from their names, examples of the products or services marketed, if known to ECP, sufficient to give you a reasonable indication of the nature of the third parties’ business.
To submit your request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we are making this disclosure to comply with California law, ECP does not provide information to third parties for marketing purposes.
By purchasing our products, using our services, or providing your information to us, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to the United States, and our handling of your information in accordance with applicable U.S. requirements, which may differ from those in the jurisdiction in which you live. As a result, this information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States according to its laws.
Access and Rectification
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request a correction to it if you believe it is inaccurate. If you have submitted personal information to us and would like to have access to it, or if you would like to have it removed or corrected, please contact us using the contact information provided below. We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request. However, in some cases, we may not be able to allow you to access personal information in certain circumstances, for example if it contains personal information of other persons, or for legal reasons. In such cases, we will provide you with a reasonable explanation of why it is not possible to grant access to your personal information.
11210 Katherine’s Crossing, Suite 100
Woodridge, IL 60517
Serving the Automotive Industry since 1969
Innovations in Chemistry since 1935